Use the Xero Connect to transfer your Synergy data for invoices, credits, invoice payments, bills, bill payments, and staff expenses to your Xero company database file.
Tip: Learn more about how to resolve error messages that can be shown in the Xero Connect preview tab.
What is Xero Connect?
Use the Xero Connect add-on to transfer your Synergy data to Xero. The following Synergy items can be synced with Xero:
- Credit notes
- Invoice payments
- Invoice contacts
- Inventory items
- Bill payments
- Staff expenses (cash and travel expenses)
Use the settings in Connect to customize how your data appears in Xero, and control which accounts and bank accounts the data is linked to after connect has transferred the data.
Why use Xero Connect?
Use Connect to sync your Synergy data for invoices, credits, invoice payments, bills, and staff expenses to Xero. This avoids you having to enter the same information in both systems.
Xero Connect overview
The Synergy user must have a Xero access level of 'Standard' or 'Financial Adviser' to be able to authorize the transfer data from Synergy to the Xero company file. If the Synergy user has the access level of 'None', 'Read only', or 'Invoice only' in Xero they are unable to complete the authorization of the company file.
All Xero access levels can create and authorize connection to a Demo Company file. Use the Demo Company file to test the Xero Connect Wizard settings before performing the first sync. Learn more about using the Xero Demo Company file in the Xero online help.
Tip: Only one Synergy user at a time should sync to the same file using Synergy Xero Connect. Do not run the sync from two computers to the same file at the same time.
When you first open Xero Connect within Synergy you will be redirected to the Xero login page. This is to allow you to enter your login credentials for Xero, which allows Synergy to check which company files that you have access to use in Xero.
- Login to Xero by typing your email address and password.
- (Optional) If you have access to multiple company files, then select which file you want to sync data with from the list.
- Select the 'Allow access for 30 mins' button.
- Access for Synergy to sync data to your Xero company file has been granted. You will be redirected back to the Xero Connect preview.
The connection to Xero will expire if you keep the Connect open for more than 30 minutes. This duration is set by the Xero team for all connections by 3rd party products. The countdown to the connection expiry is shown in the top green banner to warn you when this is about to happen. When the connection expires you will be automatically disconnected from Xero, and prompted to 'Connect to Xero' again if you want to continue.
Tip: Disconnect from your Xero company file at any time by clicking the 'Disconnect' button in the top toolbar. This will not logout of Xero.com if you have that open in other web browser tabs, only remove the Synergy Connect session.
Default settings are applied for your company file to make using Xero Connect easy. Customize the following settings (optional) if required to change how data is displayed in Xero, or which account the data is transferred into in Xero. Learn more about each of the Xero Connect Settings.
Settings that can be updated are:
- General settings - Set the export from date, to control from what date Synergy will look for details to send to Xero.
- Invoice and credit note settings - Select what details are sent to Xero for the invoice, and setup the account code mapping.
- Invoice payments - Select if payments will be imported from Xero to Synergy, or exported from Synergy to Xero. When exporting payments you can also select which bank account the payments should be added to in Xero.
- Tracking categories - Map what data in Synergy will be used for each of the Xero tracking category reporting options.
- Bill settings - Choose if bills will be exported from Synergy to Xero. Setup the account code mapping option, and choose what details will show on each of the bill lines in Xero. Select if bill payments will be imported once the bill has been paid in full in Xero.
- Staff expense settings - Choose if staff cash and travel expenses will be exported from Synergy to Xero. Setup the account code mapping option, and choose what details will show on each of the staff expense bill lines in Xero.
- Tax settings - Map which tax code is used in Xero for each of the Synergy tax codes. This is required for invoices and expenses.
- Each time a setting is changed there is an Audit to track who changed the setting, and what the value was before the change.
- Read a detailed overview about each of the Xero Connect settings.
The Xero Connect preview performs a real-time check between Synergy and Xero to see what data will be sent in the next sync. New invoices, credit notes, or payments that don't exist in Synergy / Xero will be shown in the preview page. Use the Preview screen in Xero Connect to:
- Resolve any warning messages shown for the data about to be transferred to Xero.
- Check what invoices or credit notes will be created in Xero.
- Check the invoice contact records that will be created in Xero.
- Check which inventory items will be created in Xero for the linked invoices / credits.
- Check which payments will be imported or exported to Xero.
- Check which supplier or subcontractor bills Supplier will be created in Xero.
- Check which bill payments will be imported from Xero, to mark the Synergy bill as paid in full.
Check which Staff Expenses will be created in Xero.
- Run the Xero Connect sync once all errors shown have been resolved.
Tip: Learn more about previewing and running the sync to Xero.
After a sync has been run the other tab for 'skipped record' and 'history' will be populated with the results.
- Use the 'History' tab to check what data was exported to Xero during the Connect sync.
- Use the 'Skipped records' tab to find any items that have been skipped, and add then back to be sent in a future Connect run.
Learn more about using Xero Connect history and skipped records features.
Tip: Disconnect from your Xero company file once you are finished running the sync by clicking the 'Disconnect' button in the top toolbar. You will not logout of Xero.com if you have that open in other web browser tabs, only remove the Synergy Connect session.
Want to learn more?
Want to know more? Try reviewing the following topics: View topics